Designed by John Lee Archer in 1836 completed in 1838. Tower designed by James Blackburn and completed in 1847. Portico added in 1888. Greek Revival design built in three stages. Nave of five bays with pilasters dividing bays and each bay containing fifty pane windows. Octagonal stone tower with columns to level two and topped with lantern. Fine Doric portico with columns, pilasters, cornice, entablature and decorated carvings. Schoolhouse at rear.
The story of St George’s begins in 1834, when the city of Hobart was just 30 years old. It is intimately linked with the history of the young colony of Van Diemen’s Land (renamed Tasmania in 1854) and, of course, it forms an important part of the history of the Anglican Church in the colony.
The main church building was consecrated in 1838, and the tower, “a mark to direct shipping” using the port of Hobart, was completed in1847. The porch was added in 1885. Work on the church building, and the complex of buildings around it, continued during the 19th century and up until 1914. From 1974 to 1982 major restoration work was undertaken.
The faithful gifts and care of the past parishioners of St George’s, as well as government assistance both past and present, have given us St George’s as it is today: a graceful historic building serving the needs of a congregation of the 21st century.