From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Name: William and Ann
Owner: Samuel Enderby & Sons
St. Barbe & Company
Launched: 1759, King's Yard
Tons burthen: 370
Draught: 16 feet (4.9 m)
William and Ann was a whaler and convict ship dispatched in 1791 from England to Australia. She was built in 1759 in England.
Built at the King's Yard in 1759, she was 350 tons, consisting of two decks. She was lengthened and raifed in 1767, becoming 370 tons, a new upper part and thorough repairs were undertaken in 1785. Repairs to fix previous repair work were undertaken in 1789. Further repairs were undertaken in 1791, where she was sheathed and doubled.
Under the command of Master Eber Bunker, she departed Plymouth on 27 March 1791, with 188 male convicts as part of the third fleet and arrived on 28 August 1791 in Port Jackson, New South Wales. Seven convicts died during the voyage. Captain Bunker then conducted the first recorded visit by a whaling ship to New Zealand, calling in at Doubtless Bay in 1791 while hunting sperm whales in the South Pacific. She returned to Sydney and thence to England.