From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St James' Church (known as St James', King Street) is an Anglican church in King Street in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Consecrated on 11 February 1824, the church was designed by the transported convict architect Francis Greenway during the governorship of Lachlan Macquarie, and is part of the historical precinct of Macquarie Street which includes other early colonial buildings such as Hyde Park Barracks. Although not the first Anglican church in the colony, St James' is now the oldest church in Sydney's inner city region and has maintained its special role in the city's religious and musical life.
Worship at St James' is in a style commonly found in the High Church and moderate Anglo-Catholic traditions of Anglicanism. St James' maintains the traditions of Anglican church music, with a robed choir singing psalms, anthems and responses. This is in contrast to the great majority of churches in the Diocese of Sydney where services are generally celebrated in styles associated with the Low Church and Evangelical traditions.
St James' is known for having more liberal and diverse theological perspectives than most other churches in the diocese on certain issues, particularly sexuality and the ordination of women. The church has close associations with the city's legal and medical professions through its proximity to the Law Courts and Sydney Hospital. Its work in the service of the city's poor and needy began in the early 19th century.
St James' is listed on the Register of the National Estate. In the BBC television series Around the World in 80 Treasures (2005), Dan Cruickshank described the church as one of the world's 80 greatest man-made treasures.